Lee Anderson's Guide for Objecting to Planning Applications

Planning Applications

Planning applications are submitted to Ashfield District Council (ADC) and are published weekly on its website, this can be found at Search planning applications in Ashfield - Ashfield District Council - searching the weekly applications list.

You may also see a form of notification at the proposed site or street signs, often on a lamp post.


What to do if you object to the proposal

Take a note of the planning application reference – it will look like this V/2022/XXXX

If you want to object to the proposal, this can be done online or via a letter to ADC.

If possible, talk to your neighbours and work together to ensure all concerns are taken into account with your responses. Also check the ADC website to see why other people have objected.

Good points to include are:

· The build would overshadow your property, causing loss of light

· The build overlooks other homes, causing loss of privacy

· It would be out of character with the existing property/area

· It would set a precedent for other applications

· Overdevelopment - particularly where the proposal is out of character in the area

· It impacts on highway safety (roads). This could be access issues or traffic generation

· Use of hazardous materials

· Impact upon trees/nature

· Smell disturbances/noise concerns

· Ground stability/drainage concerns 

· Local design guidance / policy ignored

· In a Conservation Area - adverse effect of the development on the character and appearance of the Conservation Area or heritage assets within it

All of the above should be accompanied by detailed evidence where at all possible.

Additional planning conditions can be requested in case the application is approved. These could be that trading should only take place during certain times of the day or that building work can only occur during certain times/days.

Sometimes council staff at ADC decide whether an application should go ahead. To make sure this doesn’t happen ask your District Councillor to “call in” the application. This means councillors on the Planning Committee will make the decision instead. Remember that your District Councillor should work on your behalf. I would recommend emailing them so that you have their support in writing.

At the Planning Committee Meeting, one resident can speak to the committee for up to 5 minutes in a bid to convince them it should not go ahead (there will also be an opportunity for someone to speak who thinks the development should go ahead – usually the developer). You must contact the Planning Department and state that you want to speak. If more than one person requests to do so, the person living nearest to the development will be chosen. All residents who object should contact this person and share their concerns.

Councillors will then vote on the matter - it can be deferred until a later date, refused or granted, with or without planning conditions.

Remember, be as active as possible, the more support you can get from your neighbourhood the better. Leaflets through doors is a good way to get the message out as is knocking on doors and speaking to other residents.